Wednesday, December 1, 2010

White Russian Cake



Well, Jeremy requested a White Russian Cake for his birthday. Years ago we saw an episode on food channel where 'Ace of Cakes' made one for some Big Lebowski party. Unfortunately I couldn't find any recipes I liked online so I decided to wing it... and it was awesome!!

I used the recipe for my coconut cake, but substituted half and half for the coconut milk, omitted the coconut extract and added a shot of Kahlua to the mix.

Can I just take a minute here to show you something? Everyone has probably seen a box cake mix being poured into a cake pan right? Very thin, pours right out. Here is what a made from scratch cake looks like, see the difference?



I had to scoop this stuff out of the bowl, it doesn't pour at all. So besides tasting better this is why cakes made from scratch have such a great texture. Anyway,back to the recipe.

As soon as the cakes came out of the oven I poked holes all over the top of it with a fork and poured Kahlua and vodka all over the top. I let the cakes sit in the pans for about 15 minutes to let all that goodness soak it. Then I made a cream cheese frosting with, you guessed it, more Kahlua. Any cream cheese frosting will work but here is what I ended up doing.

8 oz cream cheese softened
1/4 c butter softened
2 Tb half and half
2 Tb Kahlua
3 - 5 cups powdered sugar

Beat the first four ingredients together until they are smooth. Add one cup of powdered sugar at a time beating on high until frosting is smooth and spreadable.

Here is what I love about recipes and baking. When I first started baking I thought it was an exact science, but the more I bake the more I realize as long as you have some basic understanding of ratios and what stuff should look/feel like you can manipulate any recipe into something completely different.

4 comments:

  1. hi - i am going to make this on saturday...did you omit the filling from the coconut recipe? i.e. did you just use the cream cheese frosting between the layers? thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did omit the coconut filling and just use the cream cheese between layers. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete