Monday, October 4, 2010

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup



This is a butternut squash. I have never ever purchased a butternut squash before but as I stood in the produce section of my grocery store last week it seemed like a good purchase and made me feel like fall. So, for most of last week it sat on my table while I tried to decide what to do with it.



After several "butternut squash recipe" google searches I decided I wanted to make a soup. So I read about a bagillion recipes and came up with my own. I knew I wanted to start off by roasting the veggies, I just couldn't decide whether I wanted to roast the onions or not. Also I couldn't decide whether I wanted to roast them at 350, 375, 400... So I choose a random temperature and went with it. (Why don't people ever cook at 380?)



I ended up cooking the onions in the stock pot instead of roasting them, I thought I had some white wine I could throw in there to deglaze the pan but I didn't. I'll have to try that next time.



All in all, it turned out really well. We ate this with grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner. Even Alexis and Jake said it was good!



1 large butternut squash
4 medium carrots
olive oil
salt
butter
1 onion
1 clove of garlic
2 c chicken broth
salt
pepper
¼ c heavy cream or half and half

Heat oven to 380 degrees. Peel and cube the butternut squash and the carrots. Toss with salt and olive oil and spread out onto a sheet pan. Roast for 45 minutes.

In the mean time, chop up the onion and garlic. Melt butter in a large pot and sauté the onion until it starts to turn brown, turn the heat down low and let the onions cook down for about 20 minutes. Make a space in the center of the pot and add the garlic, let it cook for a few minutes. Add chicken broth and vegetables. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.

Using an immersion blender (or in batches in a counter top blender,) blend soup until smooth. Add heavy cream and bring back up to temperature before serving. Season with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

  1. interesting! I don't like squash just to eat - though Steve and Elijah do - maybe I would like it this way. I'll have to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I love all your recipes! The meals all look so tasty! I need to come here for dinner ideas!

    ReplyDelete