Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentine's Day Cookies



Most of you who know me know that I really like to bake and that anything that has to do with flour and sugar I can make well. It will taste awesome. However, I cannot seem to make things look pretty AT ALL. I have always said who cares what it looks like as long as it tastes good, right? And while I still hold fast to that I have to say that I envy people who can make cakes that look good enough to be a wedding cake or cookies that look like they come from a Martha Stewart ad.



Yesterday I read a tutorial on royal icing. It looked time consuming but really not all that hard so I decided I'd give it a try today. Seeing as how Valentine's Day is on Sunday and I happen to have a heart shaped cookie cutter I decided to make cookies that look like sweetheart candies.



All in all it was actually a LOT easier then I thought it would be. Obviously my piping skills are lacking, and I had a hard time getting the consistency of the icing just right (especially the pink) but I am really happy with these. And I am happy that I finally tried the whole royal icing thing.



The cookies are my favorite sugar cookie recipe so they aren't just pretty (or semi-pretty in my case) They also happen to taste awesome!

6 comments:

  1. you must not have used wheat then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why did it call me kat? i typed katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat... I mean Katie :) hahaha

    No I didn't use wheat... but it IS the same recipe that didn't work just before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look great! And if it makes you feel any better you got ALL the cooking and decorating genes in the family!

    ReplyDelete