Monday, November 23, 2009

Coconut Cake

Ok, so I totally forgot to take a picture before this cake got demolished so this one will have to do.



A gal at our church is getting married in December and I am making a coconut cake for the reception. Since I've never made one before I thought I had better test out a recipe first. A friend emailed me this one and after a few modifications here is what I came up with.

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups sifted flour
4 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp salt
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp coconut extract

Preheat oven to 350
Grease and flour 3 (9”) cake pans. Mix flour, baking powder and salt together, set aside. Cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue to beat well 6 - 8 min. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and milk alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Add extract and continue to beat until just mixed. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Level batter in each pan. Bake 25 - 30 min or until done. Cool in pans 5 to 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto cooling racks.

FILLING
¾ cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 TB milk
½ cup flaked, sweetened coconut

Stir all together until well blended. Invert first layer onto cake plate. Spread ½ of filling mixture on cake layer. Top with second layer, repeat process. Top with last layer.

FROSTING
1 ½ cups sugar
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup water
2 egg whites

Place all ingredients in the top of a double boiler. Beat with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Place pan over boiling water, don’t let boiling water touch the bottom of the top pan. Beat constantly on high speed with electric mixer for 7 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. so what did you change after you posted this? because I am SO printing off this recipe. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually the recipe I used! The one I had printed said to add 1 tsp cocnut extract to the frosting after taking it off of the heat but I decided not to do that. Just make sure you frost it and sprinkle coconut on top while the frosting is still hot/warm. It hardens when it cools.

    ReplyDelete