Thursday, August 6, 2009

Pumpkin Spice Cake


This cake is, in a word, awesome. I usually only make it in the fall/winter months but I had promised some friends I would make it for them last winter and only just recently got the opportunity to do so. It has a cream cheese frosting that is laced with... more pumpkin. It has become a staple in our house, when we lived in Nicaragua I would make this for the big gringo Thanksgiving dinners and people would bum rush the dessert table to get at it. Enjoy :) I think I got the recipe out of a Christmas magazine my dad sent me one year.

¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
½ cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350˚F. Lightly grease two 9-inch cake pans with softened butter. Cut two 9-inch circles out of parchment paper and fit them into the bottom of the cake pans. Lightly coat the paper circles with butter and set aside.
Cream butter until smooth in large bowl with an electric mixer set on medium speed. Add the sugars and mix until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until the mixture is smooth and light. Set aside. Combine the pumpkin puree, buttermilk, and vanilla in a medium bowl, set aside. Sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and nutmeg in a large bowl and set aside. In thirds, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to the butter mixture, blending well after each addition until smooth.
Pour batter into the prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean 35 to 40 minutes. Cool the cakes in the pan on wire racks for 30 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and return to wire racks until completely cool.

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz cream cheese, softened
¼ cup pumpkin puree
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp fresh orange or lemon juice
½ tsp vanilla extract
2 - 4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted

Blend the cream cheese, pumpkin, butter, juice, and vanilla in a large bowl using an electric mixer set at medium speed until smooth. Add the sugar a little at a time and continue to beat until light and fluffy – about 5 more minutes.

4 comments:

  1. That looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Haven't I made this for you before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shot! But I don't remember ever sending you a Christmas magazine while you in Nicaragua. All I ever sent was each year's Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, I think that's because I, Marge, wrote the post, my dad doesn't send me such magazines, just cooking ones. :)

    ReplyDelete