Saturday, July 11, 2009

What To Do With Zucchini



The first zucchini were ready the other day and I was left with only one question, how best to savor the first fruits without screwing them up?

I might add that this is the same question you should ask yourself all this summer when in possession of some wonderful vegetables or fruit. In case you have something you really want to do (like make dried tomato powder out of incredibly ripe tomatoes....stay tuned for that one), you should strive to do very little.

I do not enjoy the "lets-see-who-can-grow-the-biggest-zucchini-in-the-world-game-merely-to-be-the-envy-of-my-neighbors" game. Seriously? Large zucchini are the reason I detest most zucchini preparations. Pick them small, eat them small.

Being that I am unabashedly on a pimentón kick right now (and so should you) I decided that this would have to be part of the dish. A little olive oil, a dab of bacon fat, a few cloves of garlic, the zucchini, and of course the pimentón were all added over medium heat and allowed to get to know each other for about 5 minutes. Just enough to heat the zucchini and not enough to make it resemble something that came out of my nose that time I got a wicked cold back in '87.

Plate, salt and eat. Simple as that.

Don't mess with good ingredients. Let it shine. Save the cream of mushroom soup casserole for...well...never.

1 comment:

  1. This looks fabulous - I'm with you too. I don't particularly like large zucchinis.

    ReplyDelete