Friday, July 24, 2009

Philosophy Of Eating

This was so good I had to share it. I read it at the library and then read it twice upon arriving home. These few paragraphs do more to explain some of my own philosophy of cooking and eating than I have ever seen in print. They come from the intro to the book 'The Kitchen Diaries' by Nigel Slater.

"Right food, right place, right time. It is my belief - an the point of this book - that this is the best recipe of all. A crab sandwich by the sea on a June afternoon; a slice of roast goose with applesauce and roast potatoes on Christmas day; hot sausages and a chunk of roast pumpkin on a frost- sparkling night in November. These are meals whose success relies not on the expertise of the cook but on the more basic premise that this is the food of the moment - something eaten at a time when it is most appropriate, when the ingredients are at their peak of perfection, when food, the cook and the time of year are at one with each other.

...It is about seasonality, certainly, but also about going with the flow, cooking with the natural rhythm of the earth.

Learning to eat with the ebb and flow of the seasons is the single thing that has made my eating more enjoyable. Our culinary seasons have been blurred by commerce, and in particular by the supermarkets' much vaunted idea that customers want all things to be available all year round. I don't believe this is true. I have honestly never met anyone who wants to eat a slice of watermelon on a cold March evening, or a plate of asparagus in January. It is a myth put about by the giant supermarkets. I worry that today it is all too easy to lose sight of food's natural timing and, worse, to miss it when it is at its sublime best."

Sheer genius. I can't wait to read/cook through this book.



Just to prove his point, here are some stuffed squash blossoms awaiting their shot at jumping in egg, breadcrumbs and hot oil. It would be both improbable and impossible to eat these things even a few months from now. But today, they are pure gold. I'll post some ideas on how to use these bits of natural greatness later.

Food is rad.

Books and libraries are awesome.

4 comments:

  1. The blossoms look delicious. I prepared some precisely the same way a couple of weeks ago, and they were a hit. I love the excerpt, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you do those? I heard they are a new delicacy. We have an abundance of them in the garden, so maybe you can tell me how to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left you an award on my site!
    http://jleighdesignz.blogspot.com/2009/07/more-awards-thank-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Jessica - Glad you enjoyed the excerpt. How did you prepare the blossoms?

    @ Lydia - I'm doing a post on them this week for sure.

    ReplyDelete