Saturday, July 18, 2009

Oh Yeah?!? What Did YOU Have For Lunch?

I ate a big breakfast and thus decided to pass on lunch.

Then I changed my mind.

I am in the process of making a chili for a church gathering right now and I got hungry...shocking I know. I would give some secrets away about the chili, but two out of the whopping 5 people who read this blog are going and I dont want to give it away. The only hint is that the meat part of the chili is pure sausage. Can I get an 'amen'!

Rooting around for something to eat I fell upon these three items:



Basil (Thai and Cinnamon), Bush Beans, and Purple Stripe garlic. All from our garden. What more could a hungry person need? I would say sausage...but I put it all in the chili and now I'll have to make a bunch more. Poor me.

Here is how I combined these three stellar backyard products.

- Dab of bacon fat (you really didnt think I was going to leave the pig out of this thing did you?)

- Green beans in over medium heat. I should add that one of the greatest parts about having your own garden is that you decide when to pick stuff. Beans are a great example. In the store they are big and tough, but you can pick them young and tender. People and chefs pay a ton for them this way because it does not make economic sense to pick them small, but they are so amazing. If you have big beans you should blanch them first in order to soften them up a bit.

- When heated through add basil and garlic.

- A minute or so later add 5 or 6 drops of good balsamic.

- Stir and plate quickly.

- Top with a few paper thin slices of Romano cheese.

- Scarf.

Five minute meal from heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment