Thursday, July 30, 2009

Homemade Mustard



So yesterday I got the idea that I wanted to make mustard, I mean how hard can it be right? Jeremy and I were at Fred Myer at the time so we went over to the bulk food section and picked up 1/4 pound of mustard seeds. Then we came home and I googled home made mustard. Every site I saw said something different! Some said never heat mustard seed or you will loose the flavor, others had you heating the mustard seeds in the recipe. Another one even told you to microwave them! So many choices, what was I to do? Well, I thought, in the spirit of Jeremy, I would choose the one recipe that had beer in it. :)

Here is the recipe I more or less followed. I made a few changes here and there and a substitution or two. So far it looks good but I haven't tasted it yet. You have to refrigerate it for a few days to let the flavors mingle and get to know one another and to let them mellow out. I'll let you know how is tastes next week.

5 comments:

  1. I love that you did that Marj! We should get together for a BBQ and you bring the mustard and I'll bring my homemade ketchup (or catsup:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea! We'll have to fresh grind hamburger as well as do sausage burgers. When are you guys headed back this way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...I have just been driven to insantity with ya'll's blog. Hurry up and get here...please!??!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen,

    Just imagine some roasted pasilla sausage with caramelized onions and red peppers on a homemade french baguette smeared with this mustard.

    Oh yeah, and some homemade Belgian Golden Ale on the side.

    ...That should make it easier to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete