Thursday, June 4, 2009

For My Father...The Vegetarian



I will not comment on my dad's recent move towards not eating anything with a pulse. My infatuation with cured meats should state my position clearly.

I figured that in honor of my dad's desire to spare Bambi, Babe, and Thumper I would post a recipe for a great salad using quinoa...a wonder food if there ever was one. This very well may be my favorite cold salad of all time. We got the recipe from epicurious and it is wonderful.

Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa Salad

2 tsp grated lime zest
2 Tb fresh lime juice
2 Tb melted unsalted butter, cooled
1 Tb olive oil
1 tsp sugar
1 cup quinoa
1 c black beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium tomatoes, diced
4 scallions, chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro

- Whisk together lime zest and juice, butter, oil, sugar, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper in a large bowl.

- Wash the quinoa in 3 changes of cold water in a bowl, draining in a sieve each time.

- Cook the quinoa in a medium pot of boiling salted water (1 Tb salt for 2 quarts water), uncovered, until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Drain in sieve, and then set sieve in same pot with 1 inch of simmering water (water should not touch bottom of sieve). Cover quinoa with a folded kitchen towel, then cover sieve with a lid (don't worry if lid doesn't fit tightly) and steam over medium heat until tender, fluffy, and dry, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat and remove lid. Let stand, still covered with towel, 5 minutes.

- Add quinoa to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed, then stir in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.

In our part of the world tomatoes are still a not-too-distant reality. Store bought are beyond a joke as they taste like soggy cardboard on a good day so we don't use them. In a few months we'll be inundated with them from the 6 tomato plants in the garden, but for now, the salad just has to make do without them.

3 comments:

  1. It looks and sounds great (maybe you could fix it for us here in NashVegas).

    BTW, I'm glad that your father isn't eating anything with a pulse, and would be concerned if you did (do you mean that previously had a pulse...yeah, I'm a literalist).

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah...thanks. HAD a pulse. Live animals don't like to be eaten very often. I am glad the dispy in you has not completely disappeared. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, son, for the posting in my honor. Your lovely wife sent told me about this dish and sent a link to the recipe. Alas, I have been too lazy to make it.

    My vegetarian diet is boring beyond belief... and that is no one's fault but my own. I tried that "eating something with a pulse" thing but quickly found out it was a crime in 37 states...

    ReplyDelete