Sunday, January 4, 2009

Roast Chicken Leftovers, part 1

I am a big believer in using everything you buy. We waste more food than can possibly be imagined. There are many parts of the world where people live off the kind of stuff we throw away and do it really well.

I decided to do a few posts on what I am doing with the chicken I roasted yesterday. This first post is admittedly pretty simple, but I hope the following posts are a bit more creative and get you thinking...maybe even inspired. I have found that living well and living resourcefully often go hand in hand.

For lunch today we made chicken salad sandwiches. Like I said, nothing special. Until you have had a chicken salad sandwich from fresh leftover roasted chicken however I would have to say you have never lived. Forget that boiled chicken that is so dry you NEED four cups of mayo to make it not stick to the roof of your mouth.



The reality is that Chicken Salad is an intensely subjective dish. I have heard innumerable variations. Use your own, the chicken is the key. Here is my preferred way:

- 2 slices of my wife's amazing whole wheat make-you-want-to-slap-your-mama bread (the subject of a future post), toasted
- 3/4 cup chopped chicken
- 2 T. Mayo
- 1 T. Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced.
- touch of dried basil (because the fresh stuff is all gone)

No comments:

Post a Comment