Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Not Your Mom's Ramen

I have a not-so-secret. I love Ramen. Yes, I pretend to love all things stellar, but those noodles make me happy every time I put them in my mouth. Make no mistake, I have no pretentious idea about the validity of Ramen actually being "good", it is better than good. In fact it is awesome.

I have to agree that the "flavor packet" is not so great. I have to give props to the makers however, seeing as they still have MSG as their second ingredient (behind salt). That takes straight up gumption. There is an acquaintance I have that enjoys eating this stuff straight up...sometimes with the addition of a bit of cayenne pepper, but he'll go unnamed.

In search of a tasty treat that included one or more types of my sausages I turned to Ramen. I wanted to jazz up the classic broke-college-student-that-is-to-lazy-to-eat-vegetables-or-get-a-job food a bit and make it A) taste better B) include sausage...pretty simple. Here is what I came up with:



1 Cup - chicken stock (I swear I'll get the stock recipe up soon)
1 Cup - water
1/4 onion, sliced into thin rounds
1 clove garlic, minced
a bit of grated ginger (I cant stand it when people give strict measurements of this kind of stuff...are you really going to pack bits of shredded ginger into a teaspoon? I didn't think so)
fish sauce
1/8 lb. Vietnamese Chicken sausage, cut while frozen into paper thin slices
1 pack Ramen noodles (Flavor pack chucked into garbage)
A few sprigs of fesh cilantro

- Simmer the stock and water.

- When liquid is at simmer add onion, garlic, ginger. Taste. Add fish sauce for body and salinity. Don't go overkill with it. A little goes a long way. Simmer for a few minutes.

- Add sausage slices. Let simmer until firm. About 5 minutes.

- Add Ramen. Wait till it reaches your desired tenderness (I personally like mine pretty al dente).

- Plate and add cilantro.

- Scarf.

- Repeat?

No comments:

Post a Comment