Thursday, January 15, 2009

Lemon-Ginger Cake



Ok, so I am about to share a dirty secret with you all...ready?

Boxed cake mixes taste just as good as making a cake from scratch, sometimes they are even better. No joke.

So, now that you have all picked your jaws off the ground.... I have a recipe for lemon ginger cake from scratch, but here is the thing. It called for 8 eggs and a million steps. On top of that, a LOT of times cakes from scratch just end up dry and tasteless. Instead, I used a lemon cake mix for this cake and then just added 2 tsp of powdered ginger and 2 Tb of lemon juice. Yes, it is that simple. The best part is that it tastes AWESOME.

I baked it in two 8" cake pans, when they cooled I lopped the top off of one of them to make an even first layer.



Then I just slapped a BIG layer of blackberry curd between the two layers and frosted it with cream cheese frosting.



Now when it comes to frosting NEVER USE THE JUNK OUT OF THE CAN!!! Here is the lesson of the day:

Boxed cake mixes = good. Canned frosting = BAD.

This cake was very good, all the different flavors went together really well. Here is the recipe I used for the frosting.

16-ounce cream cheese, room temp
¾ cup unsalted butter, room temp
5 cups powdered sugar (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 Tb sour cream
1 Tb vanilla extract

Mix together the cream cheese and butter in a mixer on high speed. Add the sugar, sour cream, and vanilla and mix on high until light and fluffy.

I actually only made half a recipe and it was plenty!

No comments:

Post a Comment