Friday, January 23, 2009

Ginger Snaps

I love to cook. I also like to think that I am good at everything in life. This is not so..but it does not deter me in the slightest to become...in the awesome words of our US Army (which I not so brightly joined for a stint)...all that I can be. This includes realms of possibility that those who know me might find strange. Poetry is one such example. Note that I make no claims to be a poet, although I too have seen "Dead Poets Society" and thought myself to be cool and wordy.

Now to food. My wife has some incredible talents. For one, she was specially gifted in life with anything having to do with flour and an oven. Desserts that fall into this category are somewhat of a specialty within a specialty. One of my favorite things she makes are ginger snaps.

Now back to poetry. My wife took a trip to Texas sometime back and I, the grieving and heart-stricken husband, decided that the best way to be near her was to make ginger snaps...Yes, I know, I am one romantic fool.

I bombed.

Big time.

I ate them, but they were not good eating. They did spurn me to write a poem which I share with you. In case you are wondering at why I wrote it this way, I was influenced by the legendary poem "This is Just to Say" By William Carlos Williams. Here it is:

They Are Not As Good As Yours

I made gingersnaps today.
The fissures running down
Their otherwise smooth
Domes remind me
Of the cracks I’m sure
I have left on your heart.

I miss you
And I sit here thinking

The Dead Poets would be proud...

Instead of posting my junk recipe, I give to you my beautiful wife's recipe. Make them. Enjoy them. Write a poem if you must. Then send it to me.




1 c brown sugar
¾ c butter
1/4 c molasses
1 egg
3 c flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
½ tsp cloves
¼ tsp salt
sugar

Preheat oven to 375. Cream together the butter, sugar, molasses and egg. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Grease cookie sheet. Shape dough into balls and dip in sugar; place sugar side up on cookie sheet.
Bake 10- 12 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment