Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Blackberry Juice

This past summer Jeremy, the kids and I picked about a million blackberries. After we were done making muffins, jam, pies and just eating them with sugar we still had about 2 quarts left so we froze them. I finally decided to use them so I made blackberry juice. Why? You ask... you'll have to tune in Thursday to find out.

For now, here's how you make juice.














For every 2 quarts of fresh blackberries you need a half a cup of water. Bring blackberries and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until blackberries are soft then mash the blackberries with a potato masher or fork. Pour all of that through a large wire-mesh strainer lined with cheese cloth into a bowl. Toss the pulp and ta da, blackberry juice.


I like to mix it with seltzer water and drink it cold but we are going to make it into part of a dessert.

2 comments:

  1. I believe that I have enjoyed a delicious blackberry martini at your house made with this juice. Am I right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That's my other favorite thing to do with blackberry juice!

    ReplyDelete